I just updated the name and code (SKU) of one of our programs in SalesForce. We had nearly 1500 donation records whose name needed to be updated. NPSP will auto-generate the name based on a format you configure in NPSP settings. But after the record is first created, there are only 2 ways to trigger that code: by manually clicking a button on the record, or updating all of the records in your system.
So I decided to manually update the records. Here's how I did it.
1. Create a new Donations report in SalesForce
The report must include the ID of each record, and in my case also the Name.
2. Export the report results to a CSV file
Click Export Details in the button bar. Change the format to CSV.
3. Edit the data in your favorite spreadsheet app
I did a simple search and replace in Excel to swap the old code out with the new one. Be sure to save!
4. Sign into dataloader.io
Use your production SalesForce credentials.
5. Click NEW TASK > Import at the top of the page
6. Choose Update as the operation
7. Select Donation (Opportunity) as the object
8. Click Next
9. Drag and drop the CSV file from step 3 here
The fields should map automatically. If not, you need to do it yourself.
10. Click Save and Run
I just leave these values set to the defaults.
Go get coffee. When you get back, your records will be updated.